Saturday, June 11, 2011

4PLAY: TAMPA Carlos Treviño Int Pt 4


Final installment of my interview with the talented 4PLAY: TAMPA screenwriter Carlos Treviño. To read the other installments, click on part 1, part 2 or part 3.

BTW - I wish we had a more open society in the USA where our public and private masks weren't so psychotically split. I'm speaking about the latest political scandal, this time involving Anthony Weiner, where yet again, the public face of the "squeaky clean family man politician" is blown by the behind-the-scenes sexual shenanigans. I'm not a Weiner apologist, but when will a non-married candidate who is up front about their sexual behavior (e.g. "Hi, I'm Bob, I'm running for Congress and I've slept with a lot of people but I'm great at accounting and balancing the budget!") be allowed to run and win public office? I could care less what a politician does in the bedroom as long as they are not exploiting anyone NOR hypocritically mis-representing themselves. I'm not looking for role-models in politics, I just want honest and adroit bureaucrats! I do think we have a long way to go before that happens, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to make FOURPLAY, which I hope at least will start a few more conversations about sexual practice versus public persona every time it screens somewhere. - Kyle


What obstacles or limitations did you have to overcome when writing TAMPA and how did you creatively work around or within them?


I knew pretty early on that I wanted to tell the whole thing with visuals and sound effects only: no dialogue. And though there’s one character who breaks that rule for comic effect, I can say I succeeded. Not being able to rely on dialogue forced me to be extremely specific about setting up motivations, reactions, and comic beats. I think that can only help my writing in the long run.

Have you learned anything special that you'd like to communicate to screenwriters about the short film form now having written three of these FOURPLAY shorts?

Nothing special. Shorts are hard. Especially if you’re not just trying to set up a joke or sell some Dutch beer. Well, even then, I guess shorts are difficult. It’s a great honor and boon to have someone as good at producing and directing my work as I have with Kyle Henry. Getting my work produced is one of the biggest motivators in allowing that work to continue. So if I have any special advice to screenwriters, it’s: get a boyfriend as talented as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be moderated shortly. No abusive language, please!