Sunday, October 18, 2009

SAN FRANCISCO: Chloe speaks... an intro


Today begins an amazing series of exchanges with SAN FRANCISCO production consultant Chloe, a professional transvestite sex-worker. Chloe of course has another name but we'll need refer to him by his pseudonym to protect his identity since sex-work is still illegal in these here United States. I first met Chloe through a mutual friend while working in San Francisco editing Michael Jacob's AUDIENCE OF ONE. Needless to say, I came to that first meeting with a lot of stereotypes and baggage regarding sex-work and sex-workers (e.g. sex-work = prostitution = always exploitative = always bad!). Well, needless to say, my stereotypes died hard and our relationship has been one of the more treasured friendships I've developed over the course of my lifetime. I hope you find these exchanges as moving and funny (Chloe has a wonderful sense of humor) as I do! - Kyle

What led you to do the work you do?

The perfect synthesis of the dot.com boom (lots of shy, young, horny cubicle nerds with lots of money!), the proliferation of the internet, the invention of erosguide.com, and my staggering amount of college debt.

The year was 2000 and I was a regular at a SF club called Trannyshack. I enjoyed the fashion of drag and the completely different sexual possibilities it presented. I noticed that when I put on a wig, some lipstick, a short skirt, and a gorgeous pair of high heels, a totally different set of eyes were upon me. Mostly straight or bi, but almost never gay.

I was able to sleep with ridiculously hot straight guys that wouldn't have even noticed me had I been dressed as my normal skinny-art-damaged-fag self. Whoa. I could actually walk out of the club on the arm of the straight(ish) stud that all the gays were salivating over and it felt amazing. We call it the "Tranny's Revenge." I could make the gay guys jealous who wouldn't give me the time of day, by sleeping with the straight guys that they drooled over.

But back to the original question: An amazing tranny who worked the door, Chocolate (nope, she's white), once asked me where I advertised and what I charged. I had absolutely no idea what she meant. When she told me that I could make "A LOT of money," I began to ask questions. She taught me everything and "turned me out," as they say.

I paid off my college loans in less than a year and haven't slept with a gay man in years - except for my boyfriends. Well, unless you count, the jerk-off sessions in the steam room at the gym, where I'm always the ONLY guy in there with a perfect mani/pedi of Chanel's Vamp. But again - who really knows if all those guys are gay? Doubt it...

1 comment:

  1. Chloe is one of the most intelligent people I know, and for the lucky few who encounter her are forever changed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be moderated shortly. No abusive language, please!